Sunday, February 20, 2011

Menya Kafuu (麺屋家風), Yamashina, Kyoto - Ramen review

7.5/10

Food




Okay, finally I am back with some more Ramen reviews. Kafuu is a Ramen shop not too far away from my house here in the district of Yamashina, Kyoto. I always thought about going, and today, I finally did.

It was actually almost 30 minutes to walk, but totally worth it. This is some good ol' classic Pork based (Tonkotsu) Ramen. The soup is very thick and creamy, a bit too sweet for some people (but not for me), quality thin Ramen noodle and three types of pork meat: thick pork, thin pork and little tiny pork pieces. Awesome. 

However, there wasn't a lot of "special" about it. Don't get me wrong, if you are fan of this kind of Ramen, you will love it and it is definitely worth the walk. But there is nothing about it that kicks you off your chair. Minus 2 points for that.

I also minused half a point, for something that might sound very Ramen-elitist to you, but is something that really annoys me about the Ramen scene lately: Tsukemen!
Tsukemen is basically separating the noodles from the soup, with the soup being way thicker than usually and serving as a dip for the noodles. This kind of Ramen started years back in Tokyo and has since become a big trend in the rest of the country as well. Which is fine. 
But when stores, that never had Tsukemen on their menu, now start to include them on their menu... That is just wrong. Please. Don't.

Other than that, great Ramen. If you are ever in Kyoto, you might want to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment